CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bah Humblog: God Rest Ye, Merry Introduction

Photobucket
(Well, that's just plain holly-jolly.)

As I said in the intro to our companion blog, what fascinates me about Robin Hood is the characters. The different ways they have of being portrayed, and how those choices from the writers and directors affect the plot. But there’s another story, as often retold, if not even more, that fascinates me in a similar, yet wholly different way. And unless you’re stupid, you’ve guessed that it’s Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol”. And what makes this so freaking fascinating to me is two things, First, Dickens tells of a version of Christmas that is pretty much entirely secular, focusing on family and love and togetherness, and leaving out Jesus. And that‘s how I celebrate Christmas, and why I like is so much. The more important one to the blog, however, is that here, the plot doesn’t change. In pretty much all adaptations, the plot, even much of the dialogue, is original Dickens. Yet everyone that gets their hands on it wants to make it their own. So Scrooge is a miser, who cares little for his employees or his fellow man. That can’t change. But is he angry, sad, bitter, cruel, or just gleefully mean? Is Cratchit sadly resigned to his fate, or is he a sassy lil’ spitfire? Are the ghosts doing this because they care, or do they enjoy tormenting the elderly? And if so, was that intentional, or just inept directing? Tiny Tim - Adorable or creepy? And what of Marley? WHAT INDEED. So here I shall make my snark on all manner of Christmas Carols. I shall examine not only Scrooge and them thar ghosts, but also Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim, Scrooge’s nephew Fred, his ex-fiancĂ©e Belle, those two poor dopes that try to get some charity out of him, and Old Man Fezziwig. It’ll be hard, as the average in quality here seems to be higher than in Robin Hood. You're not getting a really shoddy production until part 4. Oh, and when I say “all manner of Christmas carols, I do mean all manner, as each installment shall also feature me venting on a seasonal song. Here’s two freebies. “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” and “Jingle Bell Rock”: Have you ever heard two less rocking songs in your life?

Anyway, the first entry proper is nearly finished, and I actually aim on havin’ three up by Christmas. Yeah, good luck. Happy Holidays, y’all.

0 comments: